Topped with a beautiful lattice crust and filled with creamy chicken and vegetables, this lattice chicken pot pie is comfort food at it's finest... Literally!
Who would have thought that a chicken pot pie could be so glamorous?! After much deliberation I have come to the conclusion that, yes... if the food looks better, it does taste better.
Today's Savory Sunday happens to be one of our favorite comfort foods and will without doubt be on repeat when the temperatures begin to drop. Which is starting to happen here in East Tennessee!
I love this recipe, not only because the creamy consistency of the filling is just right, but so is the crust! I have always been very aware of (and very disgusted by) a mushy pie crust. So, I made it my life's mission to make the perfect chicken pot pie.
Meaning = the perfect flake with no mush.
While this took several failed attempts, I believe we have a winner! The winning combo looks a little something like this... cook chicken in the crock pot (such as here), skip the peas (Sorry to all of the pea lovers. You can of course add them back in!), a regular pie crust for the bottom of the pie, puff pastry for the top of the pie, and extra thyme.
I hope your family enjoys this one as much as we do! Recipe card is below.
More savory recipes you’ll love!
- Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Autumn Vegetable Minestrone
- Lentil Veggie Chili
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Two Way Sweet Potatoes
- Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 sheet pre made pie crust
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bullion
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg beaten for wash
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While puff pastry is thawing, melt butter over a medium high heat in large pot.
- Saute onion, celery, and carrots with salt until onions are translucent and veggies are slightly tender.
- Sprinkle the veggies with the flour and continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk, Better Than Bullion, and heavy cream over veggies and bring to a low boil.
- Let the mixture simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes as it starts to thicken.
- Stir in chicken and thyme.
- Place one sheet of pre-made pie crust into the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.
- Pour filling on top of the pie crust and spread evenly.
- Unfold puff pastry and begin cutting into 12-14 equal strips.
- Begin laying strips over the filling, weaving into a lattice pattern. Once all strips have been laid, use a knife to clean up edges of pie.
- Brush egg wash onto the puff pastry topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top of the puff pastry is a darker golden brown.
*If using peas: Use ½ cup of frozen peas, and lower carrots, celery, and onion to only ¼ cup of each.