This delicious and Easy Chocolate Scones Recipe makes scones that are light, flaky, and full of flavor. They are one of my favorite ways to both start and end a day!
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- Mix the dry ingredients: Mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl until combined.
- Cut in the butter: Cut cold butter into cubes and cut into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter (or two forks) until mixture looks like fine pebbles.
- Add ins: Add in the chocolate chips and finely chopped walnuts.
- Add wet ingredients: In a small bowl mix together the cream, vanilla, and eggs. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and begin to gently stir together until the dough starts to gather. Be careful not to over stir the dough.
- Form the dough: On a floured surface, begin to knead the dough until it is firm enough to shape. Shape dough into a large round about 2 inches in thickness. Cut the dough into 8 even triangles and place each triangle on a parchment lined baking sheet. Add a few extra decorative chocolate chips to the top of the dough before baking.
- Bake: Bake scones for 20-25 minutes at 375°.
- Bake time: If you like a softer scones check at 15-20 minutes. For a firmer scone bake for up to 25 minutes.
- To store: Keep tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- To freeze: Can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Additional Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: scones recipe