This Blackberry Peach Shortcake is a refreshing, light, and fruit filled dessert! It is so simple to make and the most beautiful cake for Mother's Day, Easter, birthdays, and so much more!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 fresh peaches, sliced
- 1 carton blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy cream, cold
- 6 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Make the cake - In the bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on a high speed until creamy, about 4 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract until combined. Add half of the flour mixture to the mixer, then the milk mixture, and then end with the flour mixture. Mix until well combined. Divide the batter between two greased 8 to 9 inch cake pans and bake at 350 degrees until the tops are golden brown and bounce back when lightly touched, about 25-30 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool down to room temperature. Cover each cake layer with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Prep the fruit - When ready to serve the cake, toss the sliced peaches and blackberries with the sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and let sit for about 15 minutes to soak and release the fruit's juices.
- Make the whipped cream - Use an electric mixer to whisk the heavy whipping cream and confectioners sugar on high speed until it is thick enough to spread onto your cake. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Assemble the cake - Remove chilled cake layers from refrigerator and use a serrated knife to slowly cut each layer in half horizontally, giving you four layers. Place one cake layer on the cake plate or stand. Cover with about 1 cup of whipped cream and a quarter of the blackberry and peaches. Repeat with remaining cake layers, whipped cream and fruit. Serve cake immediately or let chill in fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
- Make ahead: This cake can be made the day before and assembled on the day of serving. I love this cake chilled so I'll make the cake the day before, chill it overnight, and then make the whipped cream and fruit and assemble the cake the day of serving. Just be sure to keep it in the fridge until ready to serve it.
- To store: This cake is best if eaten the day of assembly, but it can store in the fridge for up to 3 days. The leftover whipped cream and berries are a nice treat on their own!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Additional Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cakes & Cupcakes
Keywords: peach shortcake