Ready to put a spicy spin on your favorite quick pickled onions?! These quick and easy Mexican Pickled Onions are made simple ingredients that you probably already have in on hand. Thanks to lime juice, jalapeno, and cumin; they make a sweet and spicy addition to tacos, nachos, bowls, salads, burgers, and more. This is one of those quick and easy recipes that impress!
1 large red onion
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 to 1 jalapeno, sliced
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Bring to a simmer. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, lime juice, cumin, and sea salt to a simmer.
- Prep onions. Thinly slice the onion with either a mandolin or sharp knife and layer them in a glass jar with the jalapeno slices and garlic (one with an air tight lid).
- Combine. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions in the glass jar. Using the back of a wooden spoon or a smaller cup, press down the onions for a few seconds as tightly as you can get them.
- Chill. Cover with air tight lid and let chill in the fridge for at least 15-20 minutes to get nice and cold.
- To store. These quick pickled onions are perfect to make ahead of time. They taste even better the longer that the flavors get to marry. Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Remove the garlic. If you aren't a garlic lover you can definitely just omit the garlic in this recipe, but if you love garlic (like me) then load them up!
- Swap the pepper. If you love to spice things up try using a serrano, habanero, or any other pepper you have on hand. If you can't handle too much heat try a red bell pepper or simply remove all of the seeds from the jalapeno.
- Swap the seasoning. Some other great seasonings to try are chili lime seasoning or a bit of your favorite taco seasoning!
- Prep Time: 5
Keywords: Mexican pickled onions