Time to add a Homemade Cajun Seasoning to your spice cabinet! It is a bold and flavorful spice blend that ups the flavor of any dish.
Cajun seasoning is my most used spice, by far.
Earlier this year, I couldn't find it anywhere in our local grocery stores and was in a flat out panic until it dawned on me that I just needed to make my own!
If you don't have this seasoning in your spice drawer already, I am thrilled for the experience that you are about to have! This seasoning is a spice game changer and you probably already have all of the ingredients. It can take a dish that is lacking in flavor to five star flavor status with just a few shakes of the jar and is one of those spices that literally works well in any recipe! We use it in so many of our dishes, like: salmon fillets, roasted vegetables, pastas, rice, chilis, soups, dips, and our favorite bowls.
I've toyed with a few blends, but this recipe is my absolute favorite due to its bold flavor! We don't find this one too spicy, but I've given ways to modify the spices in the recipe notes if you want to adjust the flavors.
Let's make a batch!
What is Cajun seasoning?
First, what is Cajun seasoning? Cajun seasoning is a bold blend of spices that originated in Louisiana, of course! You will find different variations of Cajun seasoning based on preference (some spicier than others), but they all have a foundation of paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, and pepper. The great thing about making your own homemade Cajun seasoning is that you can adjust the spices to your own taste!
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Ingredients
To make this seasoning, you will need the following ingredients. See the full printable recipe card below as well!
- Paprika - I prefer regular or hot paprika, but you can use smoked if you prefer.
- Salt - Fine kosher salt is the best to use in this blend.
- Garlic powder - Definitely a must!
- Black pepper - Ground black pepper adds just the right amount of bite so a little goes a long way.
- Onion powder - Oh yes!
- Oregano - I am a big fan of oregano so my homemade Cajun seasoning calls for a heavier dose.
- Cayenne - Can't have Cajun without it!
- Red pepper flakes - Only if you like things on the spicy side.
How to Make Homemade Cajun Seasoning
How to alter the spices to your taste:
- For more bite - add more black pepper
- For more heat - add red pepper flakes
- To soften the heat - add more paprika
Ways to use homemade Cajun seasoning:
- Sprinkle over roasted potatoes.
- Use as a rub over salmon, chicken, or steak.
- Add to your guacamole!
- Toss with olive oil, black beans and sweet potatoes.
- Whisk into your favorite vegetable dip.
- Use as a beef or turkey burger seasoning.
- Sprinkle over popcorn!
- Toss with olive oil and veggies.
- Mix into rice.
- Whisk into ranch dressing.
Recipes to use Cajun seasoning in:
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- Optional: ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- So simple - Mix it all up! Store it in an air tight container and it should keep for up to one year.
Did you make this recipe?
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this Homemade Cajun Seasoning! When you make it, be sure to leave an amazing review in the comments below or tag #goingforgrace on social!