When looking for a quick and healthy week night meal, look no further than this Vegetable Rice Soup! This soup is full of healthy ingredients including celery, carrot, onion, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, vegetable broth, cannellini beans, and garbanzo beans. It is the perfect under 30 minute dinner or meal prepped lunch option!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 green pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced & peeled
- 1 cup brown rice, dry
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pumpkin seeds, to garnish
- Saute: In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add celery, carrots, bell pepper, and onion and saute until translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add the spices: Add the oregano, basil, tomato paste, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
- Bring to simmer: Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, and rice. Bring soup to a simmer. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Finish the soup: Add the sweet potatoes and beans and simmer 10 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To store: Allow this soup to come to room temperature and then store in air tight container in fridge. When ready to eat, be sure to reheat all the way through until thoroughly hot. This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. The rice will soak up some of the liquid as it is stored, but the flavor gets better because of it. If you like more liquid add a bit more broth before reheating.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
Keywords: vegetable rice soup