When looking for a quick and healthy week night meal, look no further than this Vegetable Rice Soup! This soup is full of healthy ingredients including celery, carrot, onion, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, vegetable broth, cannellini beans, and garbanzo beans. It is the perfect under 30 minute dinner or meal prepped lunch option!
All About This Vegetable Rice Soup
- Flavor: The flavor in this soup is fantastic. It's the perfect cross between your favorite chicken noodle soup and minestrone. The basil and oregano seasonings give it a lovely minestrone flavoring while the rice and vegetables make it the perfect comfort food soup.
- Texture: This soup has a great mix of textures. You can make it as soupy as you like by adjusting the liquids.
- Ease: Soups are pretty simple and easy to master in general, but this one is even easier! A beginner can easily master this recipe by following my detailed instructions below.
Vegetable Rice Soup Frequently Asked Questions
When adding rice to soup there is no need to cook it before. It is best for the flavor and texture of the rice for it to cook in the soup as in this recipe.
You really can't go wrong with any type of rice, but our favorite for texture in soups is definitely brown rice or wild rice.
This vegetable rice soup heats up extremely well. It is one of my favorite options for meal prepped lunches during the work week. I will make a bit pot of it on Sunday or Monday and take it to work that week. The rice does soak up the liquid the longer it sits, so if that bothers you simply add a bit of broth before reheating.
Ingredients For Vegetable Rice Soup:
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card at the end of this post for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Olive oil
- Celery, diced
- Onion, diced
- Carrots, diced
- Green bell pepper, diced
- Oregano, dried or fresh
- Basil, dried or fresh
- Garlic, minced
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable stock
- Diced tomatoes
- Cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- Garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- Sweet potatoes, diced & peeled
- Brown rice, dry
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pumpkin seeds, to garnish
How to Make This Vegetable Rice Soup:
To make this soup, simply:
In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add celery, carrots, bell pepper, and onion and saute until translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add the spices.
Add the oregano, basil, tomato paste, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
- Bring to a simmer.
Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, and rice. Bring soup to a simmer. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Finish the soup.
Add the sweet potatoes and beans and simmer 10 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls and top with pumpkin seeds.
To store: Allow this soup to come to room temperature and then store in air tight container in fridge. When ready to eat, be sure to reheat all the way through until thoroughly hot. This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. The rice will soak up some of the liquid as it is stored, but the flavor gets better because of it. If you like more liquid add a bit more broth before reheating.
Vegetable Rice Soup Variations
- Swap the rice for pasta. Orzo is a great option!
- Clean out your fridge! This is a great recipe to use whatever ingredients you have on hand.
More health focused recipes you'll love!
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- Autumn Minestrone Soup
- 15 Minute Veggie Pesto Pasta
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- The Best Vegan Burger
- The Best Healthy Nachos
- Avocado Dip
Did you make this recipe?
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this 30 Minute Vegetable Rice Soup! When you make it, be sure to leave an amazing review in the comments below or tag @bylaurencermak on social!