This quick and easy White Bean & Kale Salad Recipe will have you craving kale! Made with kale, arugula, white beans, toasted bread crumbs, and the best tahini lemon dressing.
White Bean & Kale Salad Recipe
Kale. Quite the controversial green! People either totally love it or completely hate it, but as one of the most nutrient packed foods in the world I’m thinking we should all find a way to eat more of it. Which is exactly why I’ve basically made it my new mission to create kale centered recipes that you actually CRAVE. Like this one and last week’s farro salad!
If you’ve tried kale before and didn’t like it, hear me out for a minute. I’m betting it just wasn’t prepared in a way that actually makes it taste good! There is a trick to getting the most delicious flavor and texture out of kale… You need to massage it! This means taking a little liquid, like olive oil and lemon juice, and working it into the kale with your hands. Sounds crazy, I know, but this makes a huge difference! It helps to soften up the texture of the kale and remove that unwanted bitterness. I went from hating the taste of kale to eating entire bowls full because of this simple step!
I like to massage my kale with a little olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, and sea salt. That alone makes for a delicious salad, but we are taking it to another level today! This white bean & kale salad is full of deliciously seasoned white beans, toasted bread crumbs, and a killer tahini lemon dressing. Mark my words, you’ll crave it!
Let’s make one!
White Bean & Kale Salad Ingredients
To make this salad, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions.
- Lacinato kale – You can use any kind of kale that you like, but lacinato is by far our favorite for salads. It is much darker and has a slightly sweeter less earthy taste than curly kale.
- Arugula – I like adding handful of arugula to this salad for it’s peppery flavor.
- White beans – We used canned great northern beans. They’re my favorite, but feel free to use what you have.
- Lemon juice – For the kale, beans, and dressing! Love how the lemon flavors this salad.
- Olive oil – For both the kale and beans.
- Parsley – Fresh is always best! Love the extra flavor it adds to the mix.
- Breadcrumbs – We always use whole wheat bread crumbs. I love the extra bit of toasty crunch they add!
- Minced garlic, sea salt & black pepper – The flavor trifecta!
- Tahini Lemon dressing – One batch of this dressing is all you need. Or maybe two when you realize how good it is!
How to Make This Kale Salad Recipe
To make this salad, simply:
Toast the breadcrumbs: If making the breadcrumbs, place in a skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place over medium heat and stir constantly for about 10 minutes or until they are well browned. Lower the heat and add the garlic, salt and pepper. Toast a few more minutes and set aside to cool.
Season the beans: Add rinsed and drained beans to a small mixing bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and fresh parsley. Stir until all are coated. Set aside.
Massage the kale: Add kale and arugula to a large serving bowl and add the juice of half a lemon, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic, and a pinch of sea salt. Use your hands to massage the greens for about 1 minute or until the kale has softened.
Assemble: Add the seasoned beans, toasted breadcrumbs, and the tahini lemon dressing. Toss to combine. Serve with a lemon wedge.
See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions.
Variations To Try
One reason I love this recipe so much is that you can change it to fit your own tastes! Below are some of my favorite variations:
- Add cheese – Crumbled feta or shaved pecorino are both a great addition to this salad!
- Use a different dressing – If this dressing isn’t your favorite, you can easily with about 1 cup of another kind.
- Switch the beans – This salad is also great with chickpeas or farro.
More Plant-Based Recipes To Love!
- Tahini Lemon Dressing
- My Favorite Farro Salad
- Easy Lentil Salad
- How to Cook Farro
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Autumn Vegetable Minestrone
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Oven Roasted Vegetables