Made with simple and healthy ingredients, this savory Autumn Minestrone Soup is a cool weather favorite!
It's soup season and I will take them all!
Back in my college days, I infinitely enjoyed the soup and salad deal at the OG (Olive Garden). Minestrone was always my top choice and I am pretty proud to say that this version is BETTER!
This savory Minestrone Soup has quickly become one of my favorite recipes to make. I love how the Italian flavors pair so beautifully with the seasonal vegetables and how easy it is to swap veggies in and out based on what you have on hand. It is extremely easy to make and the perfect soup for a weeknight, busy weekend, or those clean out the fridge days.
Let's make some!
I know what you're wondering...
What is the difference between vegetable soup and minestrone?
Minestrone is simply a heartier, more savory Italian version of vegetable soup. Where vegetable soup is typically just vegetables, minestrone is vegetables plus beans and pasta. Basically all of my favorite things in one big bowl!
Why is this Minestrone soup the best?
- It is one of our favorite weeknight dinners because it is so filling and easy to make.
- It is full of good for you veggies.
- It's the perfect clean out the fridge soup! If I see we have some vegetables that are on their last life I'll throw them all in this minestrone.
- It makes a big batch and is even better as leftovers!
- It has the best flavor! The mix of herbs and vegetables melded together makes for the perfect comfort meal.
- It is extremely versatile. I've given examples of some ingredient swaps in the ingredient listing below.
Autumn Minestrone Soup Ingredients:
To make this minestrone soup recipe, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Olive oil - I prefer olive oil, but butter works too.
- Celery, carrots, onion, green pepper - Sauté away!
- Oregano & basil - Fresh is preferred, but dry will definitely work.
- Tomato paste & diced tomatoes - I strongly prefer roasted diced tomatoes for an extra bit of flavor!
- Garlic - Mmm... don't skimp
- Vegetable stock - I have only ever used vegetable stock, but you could substitute for chicken or bone broth.
- White beans - Just one can will do! I use cannellini beans, but any that you have on hand will do if you're in a pinch.
- Sweet potatoes - Peeled and diced. You can substitute white potatoes if you prefer.
- Pasta - I've used them all. Gluten free, chickpea, whole wheat, regular. They all work!
- Parmesan - To garnish
How to Make Autumn Minestrone Soup:
To make this minestrone soup recipe, simply:
- Sauté: In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add celery, carrots, green pepper, and onion and saute until translucent. About 10 minutes.
- Add the spices: Add the oregano, basil, tomato paste, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
- Bring to simmer: Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, and beans. Bring soup to a simmer. Let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Finish the soup: Add the sweet potatoes and pasta and simmer until both are cooked al dente, no more than 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Serve immediately with parmesan and warm bread!
To store, keep in air tight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
More savory recipes you’ll love!
- Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- Lentil Veggie Chili
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Two Way Sweet Potatoes