An easy Creamy Wild Rice Soup recipe that will warm you to your core. Filled with so much goodness, I guarantee this savory soup will quickly became a cold weather favorite at your house!
Originally posted January 2017. Updated & edited December 2020.
You know those days where you just can’t get warm? If you’re like me you certainly do! I freeze anywhere and everywhere, but especially at my office. This warming comfort soup is one that I crave on those especially cold wet winter days!
I love this soup for so many reasons, but at the top of that list is because it reminds me of chicken pot pie filling! So it is basically a skinny chicken pot pie, ha.
Let’s make some soup!
Creamy Wild Rice Soup Ingredients
To make this wild rice soup, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions!
- White onion – A medium one is what we call for!
- Carrots and celery – Is there a better combo?!
- Flour – Just a bit of all purpose flour to thicken up the soup.
- Oregano, marjoram, rosemary – Fresh or dried. Either work!
- Wild rice – I use and recommend 100% wild rice in this soup.
- Chicken broth – You can easily replace this with bone broth or vegetable broth.
- Heavy cream – The cream adds the final touch to this soup. You can substitute with milk if needed.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste, of course!
How to Make Creamy Wild Rice Soup:
To make this wild rice soup recipe, simply:
- Sauté: In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add in chopped carrots, celery, and onion and cook until vegetables are tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add the spices: Once tender, stir in the dried oregano, marjoram, rosemary, salt, pepper, flour, rice, vegetable broth, and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Bring to simmer: Once boiling, cover and drop heat to low. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Finish the soup: Taste test and adjust your salt, pepper, and herbs.
To store, keep in air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Variations of this soup:
- Add chicken
- Use your favorite veggies
- Use a dairy free substitute for the heavy cream
More savory recipes you’ll love!
- Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- Autumn Vegetable Minestrone
- Lentil Veggie Chili
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Two Way Sweet Potatoes
Did you make this recipe?
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this Creamy Wild Rice Soup recipe! When you make it, be sure to leave an amazing review in the comments below or tag #goingforgrace on social!