One of my very favorite Farro Salad Recipes! This salad is full of chewy farro, chopped pecans, dried cranberries, sweet potatoes, and a delicious apple cider vinegar dressing!
Farro Salad Recipes
First things first… If you’ve never heard of farro, this post explains all!
Farro salad has become one of my absolute favorites! I always want substance in my salads. Whether that is additional vegetables, nuts, grains, or ALL THREE! Thanks to the roasted sweet potatoes, chewy farro, and other toppings, this salad will leave you feeling completely satisfied. I also love that this salad is full of color, making for beautiful plating! It is a great option for a holiday, main course, side dish, or meal prepped lunch.
Let’s make one!
What You Need For One of My Favorite Farro Salad Recipes
To make this salad, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions.
- Farro – I typically grab pearled farro at the store, but any type will work. You can read more about the different kinds of farro and cook times in this post.
- Sweet potato – One large one diced will do.
- Red onion – You can also use shallots or leave out completely.
- Apple – Honeycrisp are my favorite for this salad!
- Lacinato kale – One big bunch.
- Basil & parley – Fresh! I love the flavor these herbs add to the kale.
- Dried cranberries & pecans – Love this combo as a salad topper!
- Apple cider vinegar dressing – One batch of this dressing is all you need.
- Sea salt & black pepper – To taste. I usually use more pepper than salt when flavoring this salad.
How to Make Farro Salad
To make this salad, simply:
- Cook the farro – Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the farro and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer until farro is tender and chewy. See this post for cook times based on different types of farro. When finished cooking, drain the remaining water using a fine strainer and rinse the farro in cold water until chilled. Set aside.
- Roast the vegetables – While your farro is cooking, roast the sweet potato and red onion at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Mix the dressing – Combine all of the Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
- Make the salad – In a large bowl, massage the kale with one tablespoon of the dressing. Add the basil and parsley to the kale. Top the greens with the farro, sweet potatoes, red onions, sliced apples, dried cranberries, pecans, salt, pepper, and toss.
- Serve – Serve immediately with the Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing.
See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions.
Variations To Try
One reason I love this recipe so much is that you can change it to fit your own tastes! Below are some of my favorite variations:
- Add cheese – Crumbled feta or shaved pecorino are both a great addition to this salad!
- Use a different dressing – If this dressing isn’t your favorite, you can easily replace the Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing with about 1 cup of another kind.
- Swap the veggies – You can easily swap the roasted sweet potatoes for butternut squash, carrots, or any other favorites.
More Plant-Based Recipes To Love!
- Easy Lentil Salad
- How to Cook Farro
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Autumn Vegetable Minestrone
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Oven Roasted Vegetables