Looking for a plant based burger recipe to make at home? Look no further than our favorite Vegan Burger Recipe! This recipe is easy, filling, full of flavor, and comes together in just a few minutes.
The Best Vegan Burger Recipe
When Michael and I first went plant based (you can read more about that decision in this post), we immediately started trying to find a good plant based burger recipe. We wanted one that didn't involve fifty steps, but tasted amazing and was just as filling as a regular burger would be. I have to say, all credit goes to Michael on this one. He initially found a recipe for sweet potato and black bean burgers on a blue zone website and after a year of making his own tweaks to the recipe he has officially perfected it!
I was pretty hesitant that I would like these at first, but I crave these burgers like no other. The spice mix is so spot on that I could eat the patties just by themselves, but my favorite way to eat them is on a whole grain and seed bun (these are the ones we get) with a heavy portion of guacamole and jalapenos. Have I convinced you yet?!
Let's make some burgers!
Vegan Burger Ingredients:
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Rolled oats - We will pulse these into a rough oat flour. It helps bind the patties.
- Sweet potato - Peeled, cooked, and mashed is how you'll want your sweet potato.
- Black beans - Drained and mashed.
- Onion powder, cumin, paprika, sea salt, and pepper - This mix makes for the perfect burger flavorings!
- Chile lime seasoning - This spice is optional, but I absolutely love the extra flavor it adds.
- Water - We've found just a ¼ of a cup helps the patties come together best.
- Olive oil - Just a little bit of olive oil in your pan for cooking
- Whole wheat buns - You want to try and get as close to a 5 to 1 ratio of carbohydrates to fiber as you can when choosing a bun.
- Chosen toppings - See below for some of our favorite toppings for these!
How to Make This Vegan Burger Recipe:
To make this recipe, simply:
- Prep the sweet potato. Peel a sweet potato, poke it with a fork on several sides, and place in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes or until soft enough to mash.
- Prep the oats. In a food processor, pulse the oats until they are roughly ground.
- Make the patties. In a large bowl, combine the cooked sweet potato, black beans, and spices. We have found that using a large fork or even a pastry cutter works best. When the mixture is starting to come together add in the ground oats and ¼ cup of water. Form the mixture into patties of your desired thickness. We usually get about 6 patties out of one batch.
- Cook the patties. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a medium skillet with about one teaspoon of olive oil on the bottom. Add patties and cook about 5 minutes on each side so they form a nice crisp layer. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook in oven for 12 minutes so they heat all the way through.
- Build your burger!
Vegan burger topping options:
- Fresh tomato
- Guacamole- my choice!
- Pico de Gallo
- Creamy Avocado Dip
- Plant based ketchup - Our favorite!
More healthy recipes you'll love!
- Our Favorite Recipe For Guacamole
- Easy Recipe for Pico de Gallo
- The Best Healthy Nachos
- Avocado Dip
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Quick & Easy Mango Habanero Salsa
- Easy Lentil Salad
- 15 Minute Veggie Pesto Pasta