These Apple Cider Cupcakes are made with a delicious mix of warming spices and you guessed it, apple cider. Topped with a luxurious cinnamon cream cheese frosting, these cannot be beat!
Originally posted in 2018. Edited & updated November 2020.
Okay friends... The struggle is real. I have been running around for days getting two Thanksgiving entertaining pieces together for a shoot this weekend and the Thanksgiving versus Christmas retail is just overwhelming. Today, I went in for eucalyptus and had to remind myself about five times that I wasn't there for Christmas pieces. I am forcing myself to stay focused on Thanksgiving until this weekend's shoots are wrapped up and then it's full fledged Christmas at our house!
As for these apple cider cupcakes... Yes, please! Every time I think I have a new Fall favorite, something else steals my heart. I love doing polls and asking questions on the GFG Instagram account. Last week, when I asked you all to be GFG editors and let me know what kind of recipes you wanted to see, I got multiple requests for apple cider cupcakes. You are my people!
So, apple cider cupcakes it was! After two batches, I love how these heavenly cupcakes turned out. I have a feeling this may be one of my Thanksgiving contributions this year. What do you think?!
Let's make some!
First, I know what you're wondering...
How do I make professional cupcakes at home?
- Use good quality ingredients. That means flour, sugar, extracts, and spices.
- Let your butter, eggs, and cream cheese come to room temperature before starting. This helps you get a perfectly smooth batter.
- Don't over mix your batter. Mix until just combined and then let up.
- Use a large cookie scoop to make sure each cupcake is the same size.
Apple Cider Cupcakes Ingredients
To make these apple cider cupcakes, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Butter – You’ll want softened unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Sugar – You’ll need both granulated sugar and confectioners sugar for this recipe if you plan on making the frosting as well.
- Eggs - Can't have a cupcake without them.
- Almond extract - A little bit in both the cupcakes and frosting.
- Flour - All purpose flour is perfect in this recipe.
- Baking powder - Just a bit helps your cupcake rise.
- Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg - Warming spices for the win!
- Apple cider - Our star!
- Cream cheese - Who doesn't love a cream cheese frosting?!
How to Make These Apple Cider Cupcakes
To make this apple cider cupcake recipe, simply:
- Make the cupcake batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and almond to bowl and mix until fully incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Begin adding the dry ingredients and apple cider to the wet ingredients alternately - flour, ½ cup apple cider, flour, ½ cup apple cider, flour - fully incorporating between each addition. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each liner about ⅔ full.
- Bake: Bake at 350° for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese in electric mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Lower speed and add confectioners' sugar, cinnamon, and almond extract. Mix on high speed for about 2 minutes, until frosting is nice and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes: Place frosting into large plastic bag and snip one corner with scissors. Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake.
Make ahead: These cupcakes can be made ahead of time and chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
To store: Once fully cool, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To freeze: To freeze, wrap in plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. They can be frozen up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
More Fall Desserts You’ll Love!
- Apple Cider Blondies
- Easy Spiced Snickerdoodles
- Easy Pumpkin Scones
- Pumpkin Spice Madeleines With Maple Glaze
- Caramel French Toast Bake With Berry Sauce Topping
- Quick & Healthy Berry Crisp
- Cinnamon Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Pecan Fudge