This Easy Lemon Tart Recipe is a delightfully simple and refreshing dessert made with lemon, cream, sugar, and a shortcrust pastry. You won't believe how luxurious and creamy the filling is without eggs! Complete with a berry topping, this tart is perfect for spring and summer!
I've always loved fruit filled desserts more than any others. Pies, crisps, cobblers, and of course tarts are right in my wheelhouse! I was quite selfish when it came to this recipe because I created a tart that was exactly what I want in a dessert.
The buttery crust is good enough to be eaten by itself, but this creamy lemon tart filling easily steals the show! It could of course be eaten as is, but the berries really do add that extra dimension of flavor and bring the whole thing together.
It is quick, easy and a dreamy addition to the dessert table. I'm thinking Easter, Mother's Day, Fourth of July, and just about every weekend between!
Easy Lemon Tart Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! You can make this tart a day ahead of time. Cover it tightly and let it chill in the fridge. Although I wouldn't make it more than a day ahead of time to avoid a soggy crust.
It probably just needs to chill in the fridge longer. The cornstarch in this recipe helps to thicken the filling right up!
You do! This lemon tart is best after it has chilled for a couple of hours to set the filing.
If your filling is looking a little too thin try stirring in a bit more cornstarch.
Blind-baking your crust (baking before filling) will help keep your tart from getting soggy.
Tips For Making a Lemon Tart
- Use a tart pan - This pan makes tart baking a breeze! I have this gold 10 inch tart pan and the best part (other than the gorgeous gold color) is that it has a removable bottom. Trust me, you want a tart pan with a removable bottom. This makes removing the tart stress free and the edges come out so crisp and pretty!
- Chill your crust - Chill your crust in the freezer for 20 minutes before you bake it so your crust doesn't do any shrinking while baking.
What You Need For This Lemon Tart
- Flour - All purpose flour for the crust.
- Sugar - We use both granulated and powdered sugar in this recipe.
- Lemons - Both the juice and zest.
- Butter - Unsalted is the way to go in this bake.
- Cornstarch - Helps to thicken the filling.
- Heavy cream - For the filling.
- Sour cream - This makes for the creamiest lemon filling!
- Honey - Adds a lovely extra layer of flavor.
- Salt - To enhance the flavors.
How To Make This Easy Lemon Tart
To make this tart recipe, simply:
- Make the crust.
Combine flour, powdered sugar, lemon zest, grapefruit zest, and salt into food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter and process until the mixture comes together and forms a ball. Press dough into the pan and all the way up the edges with your fingers. Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes so your crust doesn't do any shrinking while baking. Bake your tart shell for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown, at 350 degrees. Cool on wire rack before filling.
- Make the lemon filling.
In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the heavy cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until it is barely boiling. Cook and stir 1-2 more minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and honey until the butter has melted. Stir in sour cream. Fill baked tart shell and chill at least one hour or up to 24 hours for the filling to set. Top with fresh berries and serve!
More Citrus Recipes You'll Love!
- Lemon Lavender Cookies
- One Bowl! Simple Honey Cake Recipe
- Grapefruit Tartlets
- Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake
- Vanilla Lime Cupcakes
- Watermelon Salad with Lime