We've got you covered if you're looking for a simple recipe for guacamole! This one is full of flavor and comes together in just a few minutes. Use it on tacos, bowls, nachos, salads, or simply eat it by the scoop full!
Our Favorite Recipe For Guacamole
If you've ever wondered how to make the best guacamole at home, you have come to the right place! We eat guac with everything, so I have had many years to perfect this craft. And yes, guacamole making is a definite craft! Over time, I've found that simple is best. Sometimes I go on streaks with different mix-ins, but I always come back to this simple fresh version as my favorite.
All of that said, the golden rule of guacamole making... Use the freshest ingredients possible! Stick to that rule and you can't go wrong.
Let's make some guacamole!
First, I know what you're wondering...
How do you keep guacamole from turning brown?
I dare say that we all have lived this struggle. You make the perfect batch of guacamole and have a mild panic attack when you realize you can't eat it all in one sitting! Deep breaths friend, I've got you covered with one simple trick. It's called, the water bath...
- Place leftover guacamole in an airtight container and use the back of a spoon to flatten it into the container as much as possible to remove any air.
- Pour about ¼-1/2 inch of cold water on top of the flattened guacamole's surface, cover tightly with airtight lid, and place in the fridge.
- When ready to eat it again, gently pour out the water and stir the guacamole with a spoon before digging in. This should keep your guacamole fresh and green for up to 3 days!
Thank me later 🙂
Simple Guacamole Ingredients:
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Avocado – The star of the show! When choosing your avocados be sure to get the ones that have a slight softness when you squeeze them. This recipe calls for three large, but if all you can find are small just add one more to the mix.
- Jalapeño – Just one jalapeño (seeded & diced) gives the guacamole the freshest flavor! Sometimes I add 2 for even more taste. If you’re worried about the heat, I have found that if you remove the seeds it isn’t spicy at all. Just gives great fresh flavor.
- Lime juice – Love the tang a fresh lime gives guacamole. Definitely prefer fresh here!
- Garlic - Minced. You can certainly omit if you don't like garlic.
- Cilantro – Fresh or dried, but fresh is always best!
- Chile lime seasoning - I absolutely love the extra flavor this spice adds. This is not to be missed! I always sprinkle the top of my finished guacamole with a little more of this spice as a finishing touch.
- Red pepper flakes - Totally optional, but we like the heat!
- Black pepper - Just a touch.
- Sea salt – To taste. I highly prefer flaky sea salt. IYKYK!
How do you make guacamole from scratch?
To make this recipe, simply:
- Prep the avocados - Slice the avocados in half, remove the pit, and scoop each into a mixing bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork or a pastry cutter (my life changing and preferred method!) until it as chunky or smooth as you like.
Add the mix-ins - Add the jalapeno, lime juice, minced garlic, cilantro, chili lime seasoning, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and sea salt. Stir until evenly incorporated.
Taste test - Be sure to give it a taste test and add a spice here or there if needed.
Guacamole Recipe Variations:
- Red or white onion
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Fresh tomatoes
Ways to use guacamole:
- On salads
- With roasted vegetables
- As a vegetable, chip, or cracker dip
- As a topping on tacos, quesadillas, or nachos
- As a topping on rice bowls
- As a condiment on burgers (vegan burger coming tomorrow!)
More healthy recipes you'll love!
- Easy Recipe for Pico de Gallo
- The Best Healthy Nachos
- Avocado Dip
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
- My Favorite Farro Salad
- Easy Lentil Salad
- How to Cook Farro