These easy Quick Pickled Onions are made with only five simple ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge. Thanks to the apple cider vinegar they are the perfect mix of salty and sweet without any added sugars making them a much healthier choice than store bought versions. These quick pickled onions make a delicious addition to tacos, nachos, bowls, salads, burgers, and more. This is one of those quick and easy recipes that impress!
1 large red onion
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2-4 cloves garlic
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- Bring to a simmer. In a small saucepan, bring the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and sea salt to a simmer.
- Prep onions. Thinly slice the onion with either a mandolin or sharp knife and layer them in a glass jar (one with an air tight lid).
- Combine. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions in the glass jar. Using the back of a wooden spoon or a smaller cup, press down the onions for a few minutes as tightly as you can get them.
- Chill. Cover with air tight lid and let chill in the fridge for at least 15-20 minutes to get nice and cold.
- To store. These quick pickled onions are perfect to make ahead of time. They taste even better the longer that the flavors get to marry. Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Remove the garlic. If you aren't a garlic lover you can definitely just omit the garlic in this recipe, but if you love garlic (like me) then load them up!
- Make them spicy. If you love to spice things up try a jalapeno, serrano, habanero, or any others you have on hand. If you can't handle too much heat try a red bell pepper.
- Add your favorite spices. Some great additions are chili lime seasoning, cumin, or a bit of your favorite taco seasoning!
- Prep Time: 5
Keywords: Quick Pickled Onions