These plant-based Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowls are super satiating, chocked full of flavor and wholesome ingredients! An quick and easy bowl made with brown rice, black beans, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, avocado, cilantro, and salsa. Whether you are plant-based, vegan, vegetarian, or just looking to incorporate more meatless meal options, this bowl recipe can't be beat!
Where do I even begin with these sweet potato and black bean burrito bowls?!
Over the last year or two, Michael and I transitioned to a plant-based diet (which you can read all about in that post). It began to happen pretty organically when over time we noticed how much better we felt after eating plant-based meals versus meat focused ones. This coming from a couple who previously ate chicken five nights a week!
If you have ever attempted a plant-based diet, you probably know how quickly it feels like you run out of meal ideas at first. Because of this, we committed to making at least 10 recipes that we knew we loved and could pull from when we got stuck asking, "What do you want to do for dinner?". These black bean burrito bowls were at the very top of that list! They are easy to make, full of flavor, and so satisfying. Some of our other favorites include our Vegan Burgers, Sweet Potato Nachos, Farro Salad, Lentil Salad, Veggie Packed Minestrone Soup, Easy Vegetarian Chili, Mediterranean Stuffed Acorn Squash, and Roasted Vegetable Salad.
Now, let's make some bowls!
All About These Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- Diet: These bowls are as versatile as a recipe comes. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, gluten-free, or just want to throw some chicken on top, you can easily adapt this recipe to fit your own preferences.
- Flavor: My favorite part about these bowls is the flavor! The bold earthiness of the cajun seasoning paired with the bright and tangy lime additions is just perfect. I also love that you can add as many flavor dimensions as you want via the toppings you choose!
- Ease: These burrito bowls are even easy for the beginner! If you know can use a serving spoon, you can easily make this meal!
- Time: These bowls come together in about 20 minutes for a quick under 30 minute meal option! If you enjoy meal prepping, these bowls are a fantastic option for even quicker meals!
Frequently Asked Questions: Black Bean Burrito Bowls
They are! If you are using whole food ingredients like in this recipe they are an extremely healthy and well-balanced meal option.
Yes, you should definitely drain and rinse your canned beans. You want to get rid of excess sodium (even in the reduced-sodium varieties) and the inevitable slimy bits that come with canned beans.
The options are unlimited! Some popular options include: pickled red onions, creamy avocado dip, guacamole, pico de gallo, fresh jalapenos, fresh red onion, cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, roasted corn, queso, fajita vegetables, fresh tomatoes, shredded lettuce, micro greens, sprouts, pepitas, sunflower seeds, fresh cilantro, fresh bell pepper, lime juice.
What You'll Need For These Black Bean Burrito Bowls
To make these bowls, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Sweet potato - Just takes one large one, peeled and cubed. I like to cut mine into smaller cubes as pictured.
- Black beans - Drained and rinsed
- Olive oil - Just a bit for that perfect bake!
- Cajun seasoning - Trust me, this seasoning is a flavor key. Easily make your own with the help of this homemade cajun seasoning post.
- Salt & pepper - Of course
- Rice - We prefer brown rice, but choose your favorite.
- Avocado - The perfect topper
- Lime juice - You'll need about 3 limes worth
- Cilantro - Fresh is best
- Salsa - Choose your favorite, but I always recommend salsa verde!
- Toppings - If you want to top with cheese, I strongly recommend giving cotija cheese a try first. It just has so much flavor! If you want a dairy free option, definitely give this creamy avocado dip a try!
Assembling Your Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowls
To make these burrito bowls, simply:
In a large bowl, mix cubed sweet potatoes, black beans, olive oil, Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper until all are evenly coated. Place mixture on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Make the rice.
Cook rice according to package instructions. When finished cooking add cilantro, lime juice, and a dash of sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Prep toppings.
In a small bowl, combine diced bell pepper, lime juice, salt, and pepper. In a second small bowl, combine diced avocado, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
Place rice at the bottom of the bowl, add sweet potato and black bean mix, top with bell peppers, avocado, salsa, and choice toppings.
- Change it up: Try topping with your favorite sauce, such as this creamy avocado dip, guacamole, or pico de gallo with some sliced avocado or jalapenos. You can also change up the seasoning for your sweet potatoes and black beans. Chili Lime seasoning is amazing on these as well!
- Turn them into burritos: Sometimes we will take all of these ingredients and make them into one big burrito for a fun change up.
- Make it dairy free/vegan: Simply don’t top with cheese. If you’d like something extra creamy, try a scoop of my addictive avocado dip!
- Make it quick: If you're looking for the quickest way to make these bowls, buy all of the components pre-made!
More plant-based recipes you’ll love!
- Quick & Easy Mango Habanero Salsa
- Pico De Gallo
- Vegan Burgers
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Lentil Salad
- Easy Vegetarian Chili
- 15 Minute Veggie Pesto Pasta