These guilt free Vegan Snickers also known as Chocolate Covered Dates are made with only 5 simple, clean, and healthy ingredients. They are gluten-free, vegan, and you won't believe how much these clean sweet treats actually taste like the mini Snickers bars. Plus, they are extremely quick and easy to make!
Looking for more healthy treat ideas? Don't miss our favorite gluten, dairy, and sugar free Quick & Healthy Berry Crisp!
All About These Chocolate Covered Dates
- Flavor: Think mini Snickers bar, but without all of the bad for you ingredients. These indulgent little treats are every bit as good, but in my humble opinion, BETTER than an actual Snickers bar. A salty peanut butter and dark chocolate combo gets me every single time, but it blew my mind when I realized the medjool dates actually taste like caramel. These homemade chocolate covered dates are just the thing to satisfy your sweet cravings.
- Texture: The crunch of the dark chocolate, the creamy peanut butter filling, the caramel like chewiness of the date - Are you drooling yet?!
- Ease: This is a quick to make recipe for anyone and everyone. A beginner can easily master this recipe by following the detailed instructions below. I dare say these are the easiest sweet treats you'll ever make!
Frequently Asked Questions
If made with clean ingredients like in this recipe, they are! Dates are rich in fiber, potassium, and iron. They are a great pick pre/post workout or when you need a bit of an energy boost. Cover your dates in dark chocolate like in this recipe for even more antioxidants!
The best dates to use when making these chocolate covered dates are called Medjool dates. You'll notice that Medjool dates are larger and darker than most dates. They have a sweet, caramel taste and soft chewy texture. Which makes them perfect for this recipe! Just be sure to remove the pit inside before you go trying one!
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card at the end of this post for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Medjool dates - These dates are larger and darker than most. We get our at Whole Foods or Publix. They have a sweet, caramel taste and soft chewy texture. Perfect for a Snickers! They do have pits, so be sure to remove them or buy pitted ones.
- Creamy peanut butter - We always buy a creamy peanut butter that has very simple clean ingredients and no added sugar. That is what I use in this recipe.
- Peanuts - Salted or unsalted, take your pick! I crush mine up for this recipe.
- Dark chocolate - You will be melting the chocolate so if you can grab baking gems. I always use Hu Dark Chocolate Baking Gems and they melt like a dream.
- Sea salt - I prefer flaky sea salt and a generous amount of it!
How to Make These Chocolate Covered Dates
To make this recipe, simply:
Cut one side of each date from top to bottom creating a slit. Fill each date with peanut butter and a few peanuts. Close the date as best you can and wipe away any excess peanut butter.
Melt the chocolate according to package instructions and place into a small bowl. Drop a single peanut butter stuffed date into the melted chocolate and swirl with a spoon until the date is fully coated. Remove and place on parchment lined baking sheet or plate.
While chocolate is still wet sprinkle each date with the crushed peanuts and flaky sea salt so that it will set into the chocolate.
Once you have finished, place them into the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes for the chocolate to fully set. Enjoy!
To store: Store these chocolate covered dates in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 6 days.
- Make them nut free. Omit the peanut butter and nuts or substitute the peanut butter for a butter of your choice.
- Use another kind of chocolate. If you aren't a dark chocolate lover you could also dip these in your favorite white or milk chocolate.
- Use coconut flakes. You could easily swap the peanut butter for almond butter and the peanuts for coconut flakes for an Almond Joy flavoring!
More health focused sweet treats that you'll love!
- Quick & Healthy Berry Crisp
- Easiest Healthy Granola Recipe
- Watermelon Salad with Mint & Lime
- The Best Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins