Keeping it simple and delicious with this Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe! One pot, basic ingredients, and 45 minutes is all you need!
This Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe is coming at the absolute perfect time. As the temperature begins to drop here in East Tennessee all I can think about is soup and chili! I have had my go-to chili recipe ever since we got married five years ago, but because it is full of meat I wanted to create a version that fit our more vegetable focused lives today.
We have been trying to incorporate new vegetables and legumes into our recipes lately and I gladly found lentils a home in this vegetarian chili recipe! If you are hesitant about lentils, I promise that there is no need to be. They take on the flavor of the chili and add such a nice texture to the mix. Not to mention their awesome health benefits!
Ready to make some?!
Easy Vegetarian Chili Ingredients:
To make this Vegetarian Chili, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card below for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoons is all you will need
- Onion, garlic, bell pepper - Sauté away!
- Chili powder, cumin, paprika - The basis of a good chili
- Tomatoes and tomato paste - Diced with green chilies is my choice of tomatoes!
- Lentils - We use red lentils in this recipe, but you can use whichever you have on hand or omit if you aren't a lentil fan.
- Kidney beans, black beans, corn - The chili trifecta
- Jalapeno, sour cream, cheese - Or any toppings that your heart desires!
How to Make Easy Vegetarian Chili:
To make this chili recipe, simply:
- Sauté - Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper to pot and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes & spices - Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, chili powder, cumin, and paprika, stirring until fully combined. Bring to a low boil over medium to high heat.
- Simmer - Once chili is boiling, add the lentils and lower the heat to low so it comes to a gentle simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Add beans & corn - After lentils have cooked, add the black beans, kidney beans, and corn. Mixing until fully combined. Bring the chili back to a simmer on low heat and cover for 15 minutes so the flavors can come together. Stirring occasionally.
- Taste & adjust - Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Garnish - Garnish with your favorite toppings. Sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, and avocado are ours!
Perfect Chili Toppings:
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla or corn chips
- Salsa or hot sauce
More savory recipes you'll love!
- Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- Autumn Vegetable Minestrone
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Bowls
- Savory Herb Carrots
- Two Way Sweet Potatoes
- 30 Minute Vegetable Rice Soup