This homemade Harissa Hummus has the most delicious savory, spicy flavor and takes under 5 minutes to make! Made with a handful of simple plant based ingredients, this smooth and creamy hummus dip is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. Whether you dip it or spread it, it is fantastic on veggies, pita, toast, crackers, sandwiches, salads, bowls, or just eaten by the spicy spoonful! It really is the best healthy, high protein option when you're looking for a quick dip.
All About This Harissa Hummus
- Flavor: This hummus has the best smoky, peppery, and slightly spicy flavor! The harissa, cumin, garlic, and salt make for the most mouth wateringly savory spicy hummus. If you have ever had the glorious experience of eating at a Cava (I urge you track one down if you haven't), it resembles the Spicy Hummus that used to be on their menu. We were obsessed with that stuff and went through it by the tub full when they started carrying in it our Whole Foods, but sadly they no longer do. Enter this recipe! You know I had to make my own version and I am happy to say that I'm just as obsessed with this one!
- Texture: This hummus is so creamy and smooth that you will want to eat it by the spoonful! The tahini and olive oil help to give it the best texture. If you follow the recipe below you will get the absolute perfect consistency for dipping and spreading, but you can thin it out as much as you prefer by adding some water to the blender.
- Ease: This homemade hummus is one of the easiest recipes to make. Grab your blender or food processor and you're ready to go! A beginner can easily master this recipe by following the detailed instructions below.
- Use: Dip it, spread it, do anything you'd like with this spicy dip! Our favorite ways to eat this spicy hummus is with veggies like bell peppers, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, and celery; or on pita, toast, crackers, chips, pretzels, sandwiches, or salads!
What You Will Need
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. See the full recipe card at the end of this post for detailed amounts and instructions!
- Chickpeas - One 15 ounce can of chickpeas aka garbanzo beans will get you about 2 cups of this hummus, so double up if you want a bigger batch! Make sure you're getting the unsalted ones when doing your shopping.
- Tahini - Tahini is my pick when making a creamy hummus. It is ground sesame seeds and has a thinner consistency and more neutral flavor than other nut butters like almond butter and peanut butter which makes it the ideal choice for a hummus like this one.
- Olive oil - The olive oil in this recipe helps to give the hummus its silky smooth texture.
- Lemon - You just need the juice of half a lemon for this recipe. It helps brighten up the flavors!
- Garlic - Take it or leave it, but you know I'm happily taking it! I do think it adds to the flavor, so if you don't like garlic try to cut the amount in half instead of omitting it all together.
- Harissa seasoning - This is what gives our hummus it's spice! Harissa has a great peppery, smoky flavor to it. I would consider the amount I used in this recipe to produce a mild to medium heat, so alter the amount you use accordingly.
- Cumin - Just a bit of cumin helps add depth to this hummus.
- Sea salt - Love a salty hummus! Alter the amount according to your tastes.
How to Make This Harissa Hummus
To make this recipe, simply:
Place all ingredients into a blender and pulse until mixture is fully combined and smooth, stopping to scrape down the blender as needed. Add a small amount of water to thin it out if needed. Serve immediately or store in air tight container in the fridge.
To store: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When ready to eat, give it a good stir. If it has dried out add a tiny bit of olive oil and stir it in.
Make It Ahead
This hummus can easily be made ahead of time! Simply, prepare as listed in the recipe and cover tightly and store in fridge for up to 4 days. When ready to eat, give it a good stir. If it has dried out add a tiny bit of olive oil and stir it in to smooth it out again.
More healthy dip recipes you'll love!
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 5 Minute Dark Chocolate Hummus
- Quick & Easy Mango Habanero Salsa
- Our Favorite Recipe For Guacamole
- Easy Recipe for Pico de Gallo
- Avocado Dip